What is Access Match?
Access Match is a division of Enabling Access Inc. an Occupational Therapy Company based in Winnipeg, Canada and owned by Marnie Courage, an occupational therapist and disability advocate experienced in residential accessibility, home modifications and aging in place. Access Match is a collaborative project focused on matching individuals with homes that have the accessibility features they require and will generate residential real estate market information that can help our Access Match partners better meet the accessible housing needs of seniors and people living with disabilities in Canada. An advisory committee has been established to inform this project and includes members of the disability community, seniors groups, and other important stakeholders from across Canada.
Access Match - Phase 1 Project Goals:
1. To develop a set of residential accessibility features that are commonly required by people with disabilities and seniors who are interested in aging in place;
2. To engage the participation of each Real Estate Board in Canada and provide advisement with regard to the application of the Access Match accessibility features into the search filter criteria of each regionally administrated Multiple Listing Service (MLS®);
3. To produce and provide video training to each Real Estate Board in Canada for the purpose of educating all REALTORS® on the use of the Access Match accessibility features on the MLS®, identifying these features in the homes they represent, and on general disability awareness and accessibility related to residential properties;
4. To develop and maintain this website that provides public access to information and resources regarding accessible housing, home modifications, home assessments, and aging in place options in Canada. Links to REALTORS.ca will allow the public to search and find properties with accessible features on the MLS® and will help those selling properties to identify and showcase the accessibility features that their home presents. Additional links to REALTORS.ca will direct visitors to Meet a REALTOR® in their location. This site will also host the video training for REALTORS@ described in goal 3.:
5. To capture quarterly data reporting from each regional MSL related to the residential properties which include any of the Access Match accessibility features and have been listed or sold on MLS®;
6. To share the Access Match MLS® reporting with Access Match national stakeholders for the purpose of better understanding the accessible housing stock in Canada including the prevalence of accessibility features, affordability of homes with these features, and general location these properties. This data can help stakeholders identify gaps and plan for the future development of accessible housing to better meet the needs of Canadian seniors and people with disabilities.